Cake or The Tower of Babel?
On my current life schedule I find it hard, or rather impossible, to write. I try, I really do, but somehow there is always something more pressing. However, I do write lists, lots and lots of lists: grocery lists, appointment lists, work lists, lists of places people need to be, lists of things I don’t need to worry about anymore, lists of things I want to write about someday, lists of things to do, lists of things I keep forgetting to do, lists of things that will never get done but makes me feel better knowing they are at least on a “list”.
However, this week, in light of the way too early and saddening loss of a childhood friend a few days ago, I found myself making a mental list of all the current moments I never want to forget – moments that make me laugh at the time, and smile just thinking about them later. Moments I don’t want to pass by too quickly like so many seem to do. Moments that make up the best parts of my day.
Here are my favorite 5. Maybe they will make you laugh or smile, too.
1. Teen came out of his room dressed for school in a suspiciously color coordinated shirt and shorts combo…and announced he meant to do it.
2. While thinking out loud (aka: talking to myself) about whether to tell my husband about a mutual friend’s health situation being as she is trying to keep it secret until she has the chance to discuss with family members, Pre-Teen piped in from the other room (as is his habit to listen to conversations not meant for him): “I say ‘no’ Mom, don’t tell Dad – Because the bag he keeps his cat in is not exactly the tightest bag!”
3. I started the coffee in my Kuerig coffee maker only to realize mid-cycle, as I stood watching it, no coffee cup was under the precious stream of coffee.
4. Pre-Teen had a school project – make a model of the Tower of Babel. He did so…out of Spice Cake.
5. I dropped Teen off at High school: “Bye honey, have a good day.” “Thanks Mom…hashtag love.”
For Charlie, because, “If you smile, they’ll never look at your feet.”