Truly breathtaking spot. Want to go there? Well, no cars are allowed, not even any roads, just trails. So here is what you need to do:
1. Rent or bring a bike with lots and lots of suspension (unless you want your ya-ya parts to be screaming in agony the next day).
2. Get up at the crack of dawn…(ok, or a few hours past the crack if you are like me and choose not to function any earlier than that!).
3. Wear sunscreen (sun, high altitude and all).
4. Wear bug spray ( I swear the mosquitos are as big as bald eagles up there!).
5. Bike about 4 miles up hill (yes, really all uphill), to arrive at Marlette Lake.
6. Leave your vertigo at home because the most exhilarating way down the mountain is to bike the 9 mile Flume Trail – an ant-trail sized path, apx 7800 elevation, along the side of Sierra Mountains with breathtaking views of Lake Tahoe (uhh, don’t miss the trail, it s a long way down the hard way!).
7. And, when you finally make those arduous 3 to 4 miles up hill (for a special treat, the steepest part is saved for the last mile) and before the long scenic cruise down hill (hopefully on the path and not down the side of the mountain)…don’t forget to take a swim.
For this sweet spot, the entire journey is more than worth it!
Oh, and on the chance you happen across the rope swing at Marlette Lake, better view this: Boy Meets Tree
For more Sweet Spot Travels: Go Here!